0808 Numbers for Your Business
Sound More Professional. Have a National Presence.
- Get freephone 0808 numbers instantly
- Get customised numbers
- Transfer existing 0808 numbers
- 0808 numbers are great for small businesses
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee!
Sound More Professional With 0808 Numbers
All companies need ways for customers to contact them. When you first start a business, your mobile number may work well, but as you grow, you should consider a 0808 number.
These numbers allow customers to call you for free from landlines. They’re also known as “freephone”.
History of the 0808 Number
Freephone numbers were first introduced to the UK in 1985 with the 0800 prefix. In 1997, the 0808 prefix was introduced to make more numbers available. Freephone numbers were introduced as “free to call” numbers so that customers would no longer be troubled with a phone bill every time they call a business, making these prefixes a great choice for business. Prior to 1 st July 2015, freephone numbers had call charges for mobile phone users. In 2015, telecoms regulator Ofcom introduced new regulations to eliminate these charges, making freephone numbers free to call for everyone.
Why bother with an 0808 number?
It gives you a professional image.
0808 numbers give your small business or startup a professional look and feel, even if you’re working from a home office or shared space.
Free to customers.
Unlike 0845 numbers, 0808 numbers are free, so your customers won’t have to pay to call you. No customer wants a large phone bill after calling your company and an 0808 number can prevent this.
Promote a national presence.
0808 are non-geographic numbers (NGNs) which means they’re not associated with a certain region in the UK. Your small business immediately becomes national with one.
They give you privacy.
0808 numbers are much better than home or mobile lines because they’re only for business—no more mixing calls from your family with ones from your customers. A separate line just for work gives you the professionalism you need.
Track marketing efforts.
You can use these numbers to track marketing efforts. If you’re running multiple campaigns at once, you can use different numbers to figure out how people are contacting you. You can put one number on the home page of your website and another on your pay-per-click ads. This strategy will help you figure out who is converting from where.
Engage and convert your customers.
Customers like to see 0808 numbers from the businesses they work with, as it proves that the businesses are serious, even if they’re small. Many of our customers have reported increases in conversions after adding a number to their website or email signature.
A dedicated support or sales line.
A 0808 number can serve as your primary phone number, but can also be used as a support or sales line.
How do you get one for your business?
You can get one through any freephone service provider. Many providers are online—you can simply sign up and get going. Many services offer additional features such as auto-receptionists, call forwarding and voicemail services.
How much do they cost?
Getting an 0808 number is a lot more reasonably priced than you might think. The cost of 0808 numbers varies depending on your provider, the plan you choose and the amount of minutes you use per month. At Grasshopper, you can get an 0808 number for as low as £10.
What other features do they come with?
The number alone is great, but other features can make it better. Many providers will have additional features such as:
- Call forwarding – forward calls to a landline or mobile. Up to 100 extensions are available to ensure that calls can be forwarded to each employee.
- Virtual Receptionist Services – all of the benefits of a live receptionist at a fraction of the cost.
- Voicemail & Voicemail Transcription – receive recorded messages and read them via email.
- Call Barring – screen and block unwanted phone calls so you can focus on what’s important for your business.
- Faxing – receive faxes.
- Many more
What phone numbers are available from Grasshopper?
Grasshopper offers local 02 & 01 numbers, freephone numbers (0800 & 0808) as well as national 03 numbers.
What’s the difference between an 0808 number and a freephone number?
Nothing. They are the same thing.
- The placement of your 0808 number is important. It should go in a prominent place on your website, but can also be put on business cards, billboards, branded cars, and review sites.
- Some businesses give out their numbers so customers can call and get all the information they need through a recorded message. (An estate agent might record a message about a certain flat, for example.)
- Many Grasshopper customers opt for regional numbers and NGNs, so they can cater to customers on a local and national level at the same time.
Over 250,000 Happy Customers Served
Here's what a few of them have to say about Grasshopper
I am now a huge fan of Grasshopper… truly saved the day (and my sanity).Carolyn Appleton Carolyn M. Appleton, Inc.
Having a phone number on our site increased conversion of site visitors to sign ups and paid users!Allan Branch LessAccounting