01 Numbers for Your Business
Sound More Professional. Start Business Right.
- Get a local 01 number instantly
- Sound professional with a dedicated business line
- Transfer existing local and national numbers to Grasshopper
- 01 numbers are great for small businesses
- Manage your calls right on your mobile
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee!
Sound More Professional With a 01 Number.
All companies need ways for customers to contact them. When you first start a business, your mobile number may work well, but as you grow, you should consider getting a professional, dedicated line.
01 numbers allow customers to call you, knowing that you do business locally. Even if you’re traveling somewhere else, you’ll always present a professional, regional appearance.
History of the 01 Number
01 and 02 numbers are geographic phone numbers with a specific area code for each region in the UK. In the 1990s, the availability of new phone numbers was diminishing. In response to this issue, changes were made to the UK telephone dialing plan known as the “Big Number Change.” In 1995, one of the first changes was establishing that all geographic codes must start with 01. In 1999, the 02 prefix was added as the geographic code for London.
Why bother with a 01 number?
Give you a professional image.
01 numbers give your small business or startup a professional look and feel, even if you’re working from a home office or shared space.
Promote a regional presence.
01 numbers are geographically specific, making it clear that you do business in the neighbourhood. Your small business immediately becomes hyper-local with this type of number.
They give you privacy.
01 numbers are much better than home or mobile lines because they’re only for business—no more mixing calls from your family with ones from your customers. A separate line just for work gives you the professionalism you need.
A dedicated support or sales line.
A 01 number can serve as your primary phone number, but can also be used as a support or sales line.
How do you get one for your business?
You can get one through many service providers. Many providers are online—you can simply sign up and get going. Many services offer additional features such as auto-receptionists, call forwarding, and voicemail services.
How much do they cost?
Getting a 01 number is a lot more reasonably priced than you might think. The cost of 01 numbers varies depending on your provider, the plan you choose, and the amount of minutes you use per month. At Grasshopper, you can get a 01 number for as low as 9 pounds.
It is also important to consider the cost incurred by a customer to call a given number. Check out Grasshopper’s comprehensive numbers cost guide to see the costs and benefits of the different phone numbers available for your business.
What other features do they come with?
The number alone is great, but other features can make it better. Many providers will have additional features such as:
- Call forwarding – forward calls to a landline or mobile. Up to 100 extensions are available to ensure that calls can be forwarded to each employee.
- Virtual Receptionist Services – all of the benefits of a live receptionist at a fraction of the cost.
- Voicemail & Voicemail Transcription – receive recorded messages and read them via email.
- Call Barring – screen and block unwanted phone calls so you can focus on what’s important for your business.
- Faxing – receive faxes.
- Many more
What phone numbers are available from Grasshopper?
Grasshopper offers local 02 & 01 numbers, freephone numbers (0800 & 0808) as well as national 03 numbers.
- The placement of your 01 number is important. It should go in a prominent place on your website, but can also be put on business cards, billboards, branded cars, and review sites.
- Some businesses give out their numbers so customers can call and get all the information they need through a recorded message (an estate agent might record a message about a certain flat, for example).
- Many Grasshopper customers opt for freephone numbers and NGNs alongside their 01 numbers, so they can cater to customers on a local and national level at the same time.
Over 250,000 Happy Customers Served
Here's what a few of them have to say about Grasshopper
I am now a huge fan of Grasshopper… truly saved the day (and my sanity).Carolyn Appleton Carolyn M. Appleton, Inc.
Having a phone number on our site increased conversion of site visitors to sign ups and paid users!Allan Branch LessAccounting